In 1887 James Brown established J Brown, a blacksmithing company
Later sold to Jas J Niven a New Zealand wide company that had roots in Britain. Niven's held many engineering supply agencies and serviced much of the port and local infrastructure requirements in their workshop.
In the late 1950s the engineering workshop was sold & renamed Gisborne Engineering. Located on the waterfront the business was ideally located to service both the needs of the freezing works on its doorstep, the port and the fishing fleet.
In the 1970s the business was again relocated, this time to the new Industrial Sub Division in Parkinson Street.
In 1991 Max Carruthers, the present owner & General Manager bought the company to expand the capabilities of his sheet metal business, Endeavour Sheetmetals.
The new management team introduced a policy of modernisation resulting in the purchase of new machinery and an expansion of the workshop area.
Today Gisborne Engineering is a business with three fabricating divisions, and a well equipped parts department